Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Last day of class!

7/6
This time tomorrow Mom and Derek will be here! I woke up at 4:42 this morning and thought, “they’re here TOMORROW!” Can’t believe today was my last day teaching!!
This morning in class after reviewing the homework, we finished decorating the bottles and went to the beach to throw them in the water. Eddie was able to talk to a fisherman and he took them to put them further out so they don’t just come back to the beach right away. The kids had a ton of fun with it! Today was also Darvis’s 13th birthday! :) Saying bye was so hard! The kids all came and gave me hugs goodbye, and I was about to cry, but just kept remembering that I will be back on Wednesday to visit…and I have reminded them several times that I hope they are all there on Weds!!! Once all the kids had left, Eddie asked how I was feeling and I said I was about to cry, and he was like, just keep thinking about next Weds (which I had been and I think is the only reason I didn't cry), and I was like, oh, so I can just have a huge cry then? And he was like, I'm not a gambling man, but I'd bet money you're going to break down big time…

7/5
In class today, we reviewed and learned some new words, and then did an activity where the words were all listed in English and Spanish and they had to match them up. After that, we worked for a few minutes on decorating their bottles with their names made out of pipe cleaners – we are doing a ‘message in a bottle’ project where each student wrote a note to put in a bottle which we’ll throw in the ocean (and in a while, they will get a note back from a ‘fisherman’ ;)).
At noon, I went swimming with Laura and Shannon – it started pouring while we were swimming, but it was nice in the river!
After that, I went over to Funez to hang out for a while and then went back to the house for a snack and read til I got dinner with Danny and Mandito at Golosinas Jared.

7/4
Happy 4th of July!
My computer keeps making a funny noise, so I hope it isn’t dying on me!
This morning Laura and I went to class around 7:45 and surprisingly, Sahory was the first to arrive when she got there around 8:10 or 8:15. We played hangman, tripa, and the dot game until 9:00, and then started class – this week we are continuing plurals but doing words ending in “ss,” “ch,” and “y” – today’s words were ‘class/classes,’ ‘church/churches,’ ‘baby/babies,’ ‘candy/candies,’ and ‘city/cities.’ After going over all of the words and making sentences with them, we did a word scramble with them and then played the line game. After class, Laura took photos of me and the kids – I am excited to see them, as she is a children’s photographer!
After class, I did my laundry and read, and then went over to the Funez’s for lunch. Danny made a really good soup with plantains, potatoes, some other thing that is like potato but apparently a different vegetable, spaghetti noodles, peppers, different spices – not really sure what all was in it, but it was really tasty. And of course, rice on the side to dump in :) Alex’s kids were there and today is his daughter’s third birthday – she is so cute! After lunch, we went to the lot across the street from their house where there are a couple of big mango trees and other fruit trees, and he got a mango for me to eat, which was really good. I also got a few to take home :)
I went to use the internet with Shannon and Laura, and it started pouring while we were there. In the evening, it was still pouring, but Laura and I went to dinner at Joaquin’s with Eddie and Amy.

7/3
This morning was another slow, relaxing morning, and I went to use the internet to send Mom the pack list and cost estimates, but didn’t stay long as I didn’t have much to do.
When I got back, I worked on packing stuff a tiny bit – not much, but at least a little. I read for a while and then went to Golosinas Jared to get pastelitos, but they only had beef, so I only got one, and it wasn’t very good, so I had cereal and an apple for lunch. I read some more and then Danny called to see if I wanted to go over to the store, so I went over there to hang out for a while. While I was there, thisguy came by selling this bread stuff that was actually like a donut - it was shaped like an empanada only longer, and the inside was kind of like custard, and it was still warm – quite good and only L10. Shannon came by and we decided since the new volunteer still wasn’t here, we’d go to the pulpería (we were going to wait for her so she could go with us if she wanted to), but right as we were leaving, she got here, so we showed her the house and then she went with us to La Económica to get food.
When we got back, we showed her where Nic’s is and went to Charlie and Amalia’s to use the internet. When we got back from there, the other two were back from Roatán so we chatted for a bit – they had a really great time over there and said it is really beautiful. They all went to use the internet and Shannon went to church with Katlyn, so I read and journaled. I went to dinner with Danny and Mandito at Golosinas Jared. After dinner, we watched a movie called “Paul,” about a Martian.

PHOTOS: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100481537691508.2836068.10735354&l=7ff4758723

No comments:

Post a Comment