Weds, 6/20:
No kids showed up to the morning Reader’s Club, so I sat
in with Iris’s class. They are learning “There are [type of food]. There isn’t
any [food]. There is [food].” etc.
For the afternoon classes, I had the kids as a group come
up with words (separated into verbs, nouns, and adjectives) describing a superhero,
and then after we came up with a good list, each of the kids created their own
superhero and drew a picture of it.
After class, I used the internet for a little, and in the
evening, watched part of “Funny People,” but ended up falling asleep partway
through…and waking up because there was a cockroach crawling on my face! (right
on my mouth…)
Thurs, 6/21:
In the morning, I hard boiled some eggs for the morning
class. For Miranda’s last day, we made enchiladas -- which are very different here from the
enchiladas we have at home! Everyone brought something for them, and they
consisted of a fried tortilla topped with cabbage, ground beef, hardboiled egg,
cheese, and avocado. Before we ate, they practiced saying what food was there,
and then we all went around and thanked Miranda.
It was so hot today - 90+ degrees and 70% humidity, which
is actually less humidity than usual, but it felt hotter than most days, and I definitely
had less energy than usual.
I saw the biggest avocado I’ve ever seen today – it was
huge!! And only L5 – about 25 cents.
Since it’s Miranda’s last day, we took the kids to the
beach to play. I came back around 2:45 to wait for Sara, the new volunteer, and
got to VH1 just as she was arriving – good timing! I showed her around Porvenir
a little, and after getting her keys from Charlie, we went to Jared’s for her
to get some food and waited for the bus there (Danny and I were going to
Ceiba). We ended up seeing a taxi that was going by, which ends up being
cheaper than taking the bus, since to get the mall, you have to take a taxi
after the bus. We got some food, including some things to make the rosemary
chicken I make at home, and French toast. After the mall, we went back and got
chicken & tajadas at Jared’s and watched the Heat/Thunder basketball game
with Angel, Jim, and Vlad.
Fri, 6/22:
A group of us went to Pico Bonito this morning. We took the
bus to La Posta, and then saw someone passing through who Danny knows, so we
caught a ride with him. Turns out he lived in Seattle for a while, while doing
an internship. It was cloudy today, which made it not as hot for hiking, which
was nice, but I ended up not swimming when we got to the waterfall since I still
have a cold and didn’t want to get too cold (the water is freezing, and since
it wasn’t super sunny out, I thought it would be too chilly). We saw a few
little frogs, several big, colorful butterflies, and lizards. We spent a while
at the waterfall, and there were a couple other (big!) groups that came – one
that seemed to be a tourist group, and a school
group. The bus we took back was an old school bus like most of the buses
here, but had a huge TV up front, playing Bob Marley!
In the evening, all of the volunteers went out to Hibou,
a club in Ceiba.
Sat, 6/23:
We just hung around Porvenir for most of the day, and
said goodbye to Miranda in the afternoon. In the later afternoon, Sara,
Brittani, Danny, and I went to Ceiba. The movie that we saw last week was still
playing, so we saw Madagascar 3 instead, which I actually liked better! After
the movie, we looked around some shops so Brittani could get some clothing that
will keep her cooler than the clothes she brought, and I went and picked up
some Panadol (just a cough/cold medicine) for my cold. It still kind of amazes
me that you can get antibiotics at any pulpería – which is pretty bad, since people
can get them when they don’t need them, or take them for shorter courses than
they should, which can end up leading to drug resistance. After the mall, we
went across the street to Pizza Hut for dinner.
Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101297854281518.2984316.10735354&type=3&l=cad0e398ab
Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101297854281518.2984316.10735354&type=3&l=cad0e398ab
No comments:
Post a Comment