Friday, July 6, 2012

Time for an update...

Thurs, 6/28:
This morning I made French toast using bululos (kind of like French bread) and got some powdered cinnamon, and it ended up much better. Danny and Oscar hadn’t had maple syrup before, and thought it was like honey, which I guess it kind of is.
After breakfast I worked on catching up on writing.
In the afternoon, we went to get lunch (fish, tajadas, rice/beans, salad) at Mario’s and watch the first half of the Germany/Italy game. When we were there, there were two guys that had lived in the US for nearly 25 years, and knew Seattle – when I said I’m from Seattle, one said, ohhh, a very clean city! and asked about what’s at the top of the Space Needle. We had to leave before the second half started since I had to get back to PEP in time for the 2pm class. We had a fun day today – Sara brought some balloons and different colored sharpies, and the kids decorated them (and practiced colors in English) and then realized they could fill them with water… so used some as water balloons to throw out on the street. I was happy with how good they were about cleaning up after them – most of the kids here are used to throwing garbage on the ground, but I told them before we started that they could throw them outside as long as they cleaned up the balloon bits, and most of the time, all I had to do was say, heyyyy, did you forget something?? And then they would come back and clean up the bits. For the last half hour of class, we took the girls to the beach, which they loved (only girls showed up today – we had less students, I’m sure because they didn’t have regular school today).
After class, I went with Sara and Oscar to check out the progress on the bathroom project. They were almost finished for the day when we arrived, so we just helped them clean up.  They made good progress today. It’s sad that the new bathroom will be nicer than the family’s house, though – there are parts where they are just holes in the wall since there are large spaces in between the bits of wood and metal that are stuck together to make the walls. They will use the extra cement from today, though, to put some cement flooring in their little house. It was a little scary seeing Franklin, the kinder-aged boy that lives there, walking around with a knife and then a machete, but the other volunteers that were there said he regularly carries it around!
After a pineapple snack, I showered again and had peanut butter and banana sandwiches for dinner, and watched “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” – it was alright, but not nearly as good as the book.
I was also glad to see that the Affordable Care Act was upheld today!

Fri, 6/29:
Had a good breakfast today – beans, eggs, bululos, and avocado. In the morning, I caught up on writing, emails, news, etc. I also registered for autumn quarter classes – 29 credits before electives….it’s going to be busy!
Had fresh fried fish, rice, and boiled plantains for lunch. In the evening, my stomach hurt really badly, and I think it may have been from testing the rice and drinking some of the water it was cooking in, before the water had heated up enough – I totally forgot I was using tap water. I ended up sleeping from about 8:30 to 7:30 and it felt better in the morning.
In the evening, one of the trucks spraying insecticide drove through town…definitely not pleasant to breathe in!

Sat, 6/30:
Made French toast this morning and also had a pound cake muffin and coffee.
For lunch, we had chicken/beans/tortillas/chimol/pickled onions – Alex’s campaign was selling them to raise money – very tasty!
After lunch, we went swimming since it is mostly cloudy today so not bad sunburn weather…the only problem with that is, even though the water isn’t cold, it’s cold getting out and I just want a hot shower, which is impossible here!

Sun, 7/1:
Got up around 1am to catch the bus to Santa Bárbara – it was supposed to come at 2, so I set my alarm for 1:25, and it came at 1:25, so good thing we all got up early! There was a special bus from Porvenir that picked up people in El Porvenir and La Unión and went straight to Santa Bárbara. We arrived in Santa Bárbara around 7am and walked from where the buses were up to the field. There were tons of vendors selling food, drinks, hats, shirts, headbands, etc. We hung out in the field for a while and then had some French fries and then found a spot in the shade to stand. After a few hours, we went to go find a bathroom and had to walk all the way back to where the buses were, and finally found a pulperia where the guy let me use his bathroom - I know bathrooms are harder to come by here, but I was still surprised that at an event for over 30,000 people, there was not one! When we walked back, we walked through the sides of the fields on the way to the main field and stopped in the shade for a while. There were groups set up everywhere, and more and more people just kept coming! We decided to walk into the town and see if we could find a place where we could get food and sit down, but when we finally found the only one in the area, it was super full. Alex and Maria were there so we sat in the back of a guy’s truck for a while (they had gotten hot dogs from him, so we were able to sit in his truck for a while), and then waited for the rest of the group from Porvenir to come back. While we waited, we went into the restaurant to get some water or pop, but it was so busy that we left after a while of waiting, we gave up. Once a bunch of people came, we went back to the bus, and waited there for probably around an hour since there were a couple of people missing and it was so crowded that we couldn’t get out anyway. While we were waiting, we saw the motorcade with Xiomara, Mel, and others go by. The bus ride back seemed really long – I kept falling asleep since I was so hot and thirsty (I had finished my bottle of water around 10:30am and there was water on the bus, but we weren’t sure that it was purified, so thought it was best for me to not drink it), and finally at 5pm we stopped at Tío Dolmo’s (I learned the next day why they always stop at Tío Dolmo’s instead of any other places – the bus driver gets free food and gets paid a certain amount per person from his bus, since most people end up buying something inside). I had chicken, rice, veggies, tortillas and chimol, Sprite, water, and then afterwards, got a cup of the tasty hot rice drink (like rice pudding but this time it didn't have rice bits in it - don't remember the name). Then I was stuffed, and much happier!
We got back around 7:30pm, and the lights were out in a lot of town, but not in the Centro. Luckily it waited to go out in El Centro til after I showered!

Mon, 7/2:
This morning I made beans, eggs, avocado, toasted bululos, and coffee for breakfast – yum! After breakfast, I read part of La Prensa, and then went to talk to Iris, the Honduran teacher that teaches the morning class at PEP. After uploading some photos, I went over to talk to the other PEP volunteers to get their opinions on how things are going at each location and what can be done to improve the classes and their experience here. I also worked on lesson plans for the adult classes (I’m covering Jim’s class tonight and have my first night teaching my own adult class tomorrow evening) and my classes.
For the kids’ classes, we combined the English and Spanish since Jim wasn’t there, and Sara and I went over some verbs with them, then turned them into the gerund form, and then also went over some vocab to go with the verbs. Then the kids each wrote a sentence and drew an illustration for it. We also played charades with the phrases and then played a game in the campo.
I had adult class a couple hours later, which was fun. Two of my students from last year were there, one I didn’t know, and one new student who already knew quite a bit of English. It’s nice that the adult classes have a workbook, so there is a curriculum to go off of.
  
Tues, 7/3:
I made crepes for breakfast, but instead of the usual toppings, had pineapple jam and bananas. Later in the morning, I went with Danny to his class at the university (CURLA) - it was interesting to go to a class there. There are only 6 students in the class, so it was more of a discussion instead of a lecture – it reminded me of small groups at my school.
We had lunch at the school (only L65, about $3.50, for chicken, rice, tajadas, salad, and a bottle of Diet Coke) and then took a taxi back to Porvenir. Sara was waiting for the bus to go to Ceiba when we arrived, so she just took our taxi back to Ceiba. Since I was carrying a few things and normally have my phone in my pocket, but had taken it out, I left it in the taxi. It was so frustrating, because I realized it only a few minutes later, and Danny called it and said it was the owner of the phone calling, and then the guy hung up right away and never answered again. When I talked to Sara, she said she had found it and given it to the taxi driver, but since I had her number in my phone, I couldn’t call her to tell her it was mine.
For class, I introduced another list of spelling words, and had them write stories using the words. One of the girls didn’t want to write, so I took her aside and read with her – and then found that even though she is in fifth grade or so, she has a really hard time reading – even “el” she often read as “le.”
I had adult class a couple of hours later – it was really good. We covered a lot of material, so will review it next week. They really liked that we practiced pronunciation a lot, since they said they haven’t gotten much practice with that in class yet, and that’s the hardest part for them. It was good to get feedback from them so I can try to make the classes as useful as possible for them!
  
Weds, 7/4:
Made beans, eggs, avocado, and tajadas for breakfast this morning and then went to Ceiba to get a new phone. I bought one for just over $20 – it is very basic! But I guess it will do the job for the next month. While I was in Ceiba, I also looked around for new sandals (no luck), got a smoothie, and then ran into Brittani and Jim in the grocery store. They told me they were planning a 4th of July BBQ for this evening, so I got some tortilla chips for that and also picked up some casabe since I love it!! I had already bought some bread on the bus from a guy because I felt bad that no one else bought any – one of the types reminded me of corn bread, and the other type reminded me of a bigger, softer version of those teething biscuits you give babies to gnaw on. For two huge pieces each, it was only $1 total. I picked up some grapes at the terminal on my way back, and then Brittani and Jim ended up being on the same bus as me. While we were sitting on the bus waiting for it to leave, a girl was selling mamones, so I got some of those, too, and then the same bread guy came by with empanadas filled with pineapple – it was hard to resist getting some of those, but I figured I’d already bought enough for one day!
Classes went pretty well today – in the 2pm class, we reviewed the spelling words and then I had them each start a story, and they passed them around every few minutes, and the next person continued from where the last one had left off. They then each ended with their own and read it aloud to the class.
For the 3pm class, we did the same thing, but they didn’t last as long with the stories, so then we played bingo with some words they came up with, and then musical chairs, and then “de colores” – where I call out a color in English and they all have to run and touch something that’s that color.
After class, I went and put some money on my phone and bought a couple of cocoa topos (the frozen milk/chocolate in bags) and then went online to check my emails and update incoming volunteers with my new number. Then I was finally able to call Mom, and also got to talk to Derek for a few minutes J
In the evening, we had a 4th of July BBQ at VH1 – there were hamburgers, hot dogs, chips & guacamole, and watermelon. Jim put on a mix of “American” songs – basically any song with the word “America” in it, or other ones that seem really American – some of the ones that came on were pretty funny! While we were eating, one of the mosquito trucks came by, spraying pesticide again. After eating, we played spoons and did one firework – one of the cohetes that basically just blows up and a bunch of newspaper bits go flying everywhere. We played some more spoons and then called it a night. Also while we were there, I dropped my phone in water and broke it – I was pretty amazed – I’ve had a cell phone for ~10 years and never broken or lost one, and then I lost/broke two within two days! Brittani gave me some rice to put it in overnight to see if it would dry out enough to work again.

Thurs, 7/5:
I was going to go buy another new phone this morning, but Carlos took mine apart and said he was going to try to fix it. I thought there was no way it would start working again, but figured I’d let him try and then go get a new phone tomorrow. So, I went to work on the bathroom construction project with Jim and Brittani. We worked on making the frame for the wooden part of the bathroom (above the cement blocks part). When we went to ask Nolbin, the guy that lives there, where we could connect water for the shower, we found out that the water had been shut off since they hadn’t paid. They said it’s L45 (about $2.25) a month for water (unlimited amount since there’s no way to measure it out there), so we thought maybe we could just pay this month’s worth to get it turned back on so we could connect everything and see that it works. But, when I asked how we were able to get water from the hose if the water had been turned off, we found out that the water was actually turned off over a year ago since that’s when they stopped paying, and they are currently getting water from a hose that runs from the neighbor’s property. We were unsure of what to do, since we thought there was no way he was going to pay over a year’s worth of water and continue paying every month if he already had running water from the hose, but we can’t connect the hose to the shower (need a pipe), and it would be such a waste to have built a shower and then not have it used. It made us wonder why he hadn’t said anything before, when we said we were going to build a shower!  So, we went over to the water office with Nolbin and took Oscar with us, who was great – worked out a payment schedule for Nolbin, and told him that he really needs to pay, since if people come in the future and see that the shower doesn’t work, they’re not going to want to build for other people, and it’s not fair for him to ruin this for others, and that he is getting his neighbor in trouble for letting him have water, too (it would be different if he truly couldn't afford the L45 a month, but if they can afford Pepsi every day, they can go without for one day and pay the month's water). I think he really will pay now since the water office knows that he is running water from the neighbor, and are going to cut that, so he’ll have to pay to get water.
After that, we grabbed some food quickly and then went to class. When we stopped by Funez to get some food, Carlos showed me my phone – and he had fixed it! (But then I realized later that I can’t hear anything, so not sure if that is fixable, but thinking I will probably end up getting another phone tomorrow.)  We went to the campo to play for class, and then went straight back to the construction site to get back to work. After we’d been there only a few minutes, it started POURING and got chilly – but since we were in the middle of the frame, we just kept working through it. After we’d finished enough that it would stay up on its own, we took a quick break for some pineapple and then got back to it. A couple of other girls joined us, and we worked for a couple more hours and had a baleadas break. I stayed til about 6:30, and the rest stayed a while longer. Tomorrow after we finish, Rosy (the woman that lives there) is going to teach us how to make baleadas (mostly just how to make tortillas from scratch, since all we have to do after that is add beans and cheese).
Again this evening the pesticide truck came by spraying pesticide mist everywhere – quite unpleasant!

Fri, 7/6:
This morning Brittani came over since her finger is still bothering her (she pounded it with hammer yesterday morning). We decided to go to the Centro de Salud. When we walked up to it, we didn’t really know where to go, since there’s no front desk/window, and just a bunch of people sitting around, looking like they’re waiting, but it was unclear who worked there. We looked around a little, and then asked a woman who looked like she might work there, and she said we could just wait for a minute and the doctor would see us. We waited for a little, but were seen before any of the other people waiting – so I’m not sure if they just had us cut in line, or if they were waiting for something different. I think they may have all been pregnant women there for prenatal checks, so maybe they were waiting for someone else. Anyway, the doctor took a look at it, and we told her what happened and that Brittani really didn’t want the nail removed if possible. She cleaned it up a bit, wrapped it in gauze and some tape, and then said all she needs to do is buy something like Ibuprofen for the pain (they don’t have any at the clinic). I verified with her that she doesn’t need antibiotics, and she said no – which I agreed with, but was surprised by, since the vast majority of people here are much more antibiotic-happy than we are – they’re available at many pulperías and any pharmacy, without a prescription. When Brittani asked who to pay, she said, nothing – it’s totally free. Brittani asked if she could pay, and she said, well, if you want to… so Brittani gave her some, since she also gave her some supplies to wrap it up again. I didn’t realize that the Centro was free, but it’s completely free since it’s public! While we were there, I also said I’m a medical student in the States and asked if I could come sometime to watch, and she said, oh! Monday and 7am! You can take blood pressure and other vital signs, that’s when we’re busiest. So I guess I will be there at 7am on Monday!
After that, I went to the construction site to talk to Jim and went around collecting money for Sunday Funday. We’re going to have a BBQ/games/etc on the beach on Sunday, and are going to buy all the food for it today. 

Photos: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101332492221808.2990577.10735354&type=3&l=34f28cdb8e
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101297854281518.2984316.10735354&type=3&l=cad0e398ab

No comments:

Post a Comment