Friday, June 3, 2011

It's already June!

6/2
This morning we had 10 kids in class. Before class, I played the alphabet game from last night with some of the kids, and then did it with numbers up to 30. We started class by reviewing and then played a game where they were split into two teams, and on each person’s turn, they rolled the big plush dice and the number they rolled the first time (one die) corresponded with a phrase or word on the board which they had to say out loud and then translate (they were written in English and numbered 1-12). The number they rolled the second time (just one die again) they added to the first one and then took that number to see which one they had to translate (we did it this way so it’s possible to get all numbers 1 through 12). The second time around we erased some of the words or parts of words, and they had to fill it in correctly, say it aloud, and then translate it. They seemed to have fun with it :)
After class, I did some laundry and then waited for the girls from Duke to come over to meet up to catch the bus to Ceiba for lunch at La Palapa (right next to Quinta Real). While I was waiting, some kids from the public elementary came over to play while they waited for their bus, and after they left, Rolando came over and brought a huge sugar cane for me to try. It was too sweet for me – just sugar! But glad I tried it. When the girls came over, we walked over to Funez to meet Danny and waited there…ended up catching a bus closer to 1pm (the original plan was 11:30). I had a piña colada and chicken fajitas. It was really salty, but the tortillas were of course amazing, and Telisha gave me a couple of hers, so I got to have several :)
After lunch, Danny and two of the other girls and I took a taxi back to Porvenir and the other couple went to the mall and then to the school supply store.
When I got back, I went over to Eddie’s since we were supposed to meet up at 2:30 to work on the clue cards for the treasure hunt tomorrow, but I didn’t end up getting back til about 4! It didn’t take long to translate the clues to Spanish and then make cards, so I got to use the internet there for a little bit, too, to respond to a few emails and Skype a bit with Nana. I’m excited for the treasure hunt – I think they’ll have a lot of fun with it! While I was there, Eddie made me a cup of Irish tea…it was SO good to finally have a good cup of tea!!! It tasted just like the tea at Nana and Grandpa’s, and was sweet and piping hot!!
After we finished the cards, I went over to Pulpería Nandy to ask if I could buy a bag of candy and then leave it there so the kids can go get it tomorrow morning – the last clue card tells them to go there to get their treasure.
Then I went home and showered and got ready for class. We had 5 people in class today – Juan, René, Marcos, Edgardo, and Jose Luis (Jr). Before class, René asked what “gonna” means cause he saw it on a shirt and he couldn’t find it in the dictionary, so I explained how we say it instead of “going to,” but it’s not really correct/formal…and it was funny, cause when I gave an example, “I’m going to eat a hamburger,” without thinking I said, “I’m gonna” instead of “I’m going to” – I’m so used to saying it that way unless I’m in class and talking more slowly than usual! Edgardo mentioned again how I should marry someone from here so I’ll stay here and keep teaching English class, lol. We’re going to start having class on Mondays as well – they were ready to have class every night! Today we reviewed the body parts and formed sentences describing them. We learned “my,” “his,” and “hers” to form sentences like “My hair is black.” After that, since that was difficult, we reviewed ordering food and drinks in a restaurant and then played the ball game (the one where you throw balls at a bunch of cups sitting in a triangle and whoever gets the most in wins).

6/1
I can’t believe it’s already June!!
This morning before I left for class, the electricity guy came by and gave me the bill. The way they do it is just give you a little slip of paper like a receipt, and if you’re not home, stick it on your gate…so sometimes it flies away – so it was good that I was home this time. At the bottom of the receipt, it says “For a Honduras free of tuberculosis, if you have a cough for 15 days or more, go to the closest health center.”
In class this morning, we reviewed and then played the dominoes game again. After that, I had them all divide a sheet of paper into four and in each box, write a sentence in English using words we’ve learned this week, and then draw an illustration for each. We had a new student this morning who said he came to school in February, but hasn’t been here in a long time – so hopefully he will stay with us!
Rolando came over four hours early and brought green mangoes so I could try green mango with salt, pepper, and lime juice. I’m glad I tried it, since it’s a popular snack here but I had never had it, but I didn’t care for it – I think it’d be ok with just lime juice, but I didn’t like how salty it was. After he ate the rest, we walked to the beach and down to the ‘lake’ – it’s more like a wide river and attached to the ocean than a lake. When we got back, he helped me catch the loose chicken (finally!!!) so hopefully our porch and table can stay free of chicken poop!
After he left, I made chicken and veggies for lunch. I had bought frozen chicken and was unable to split it up while it was frozen, so had to thaw all of it, so cooked a bunch and will just have leftovers for a while! Nice to have something other than pasta, though :)
My Tigo internet is still not working!
The afternoon was pretty boring as there’s not much to do when the others are not here and the internet isn’t working - I took a nap in the hammock and read.
When the others got back, we went to Charlie and Amalia’s to use the internet and I finally caught up on updating my blog and photos.
After that, I went back to the house to get ready for the adult class. When I was walking back, there was a soccer game going on – more of an official one with real uniforms, etc. It’d be fun to watch one sometime – not sure when the games are, though, so might have to just keep an eye out and stop and watch one.
I went back and showered and ate dinner (leftovers from lunch with a baguette) and Eddie and Amy came over for their lesson with Koldo.
Went to the adult class and there were only 4 students tonight – René, Juan, Edgardo, and José Luis Jr. They said Marcos had to work and José Luis had to be at the university, and not sure what happened to the rest. At the end of class, Edgardo asked if we need a minimum number of people to have classes, but I assured him that we’ll have classes even if it’s only 4 people – and they said good, because they are the ones that are very interested in learning. Before class, René asked if I learned Spanish really quickly, and I said no, I studied it for about 8 years in the States, but it’s hard because I don’t get to practice much except in the clinic. I said that I do think that English is harder to learn than Spanish, because the pronunciation is difficult – in Spanish it is very straightforward and how it’s written is how it’s said, but that’s not true in English. During class, we reviewed foods and ordering, and also added asking “Can I pay by card?” “Sorry, no. Cash only.” and then learned 30 body parts. For the game tonight, we did the one where we stand in a circle and go around, but instead of numbers, did the alphabet – so go in sequence and when someone either says the wrong letter or takes too long, they’re out. After that, we did it in Spanish and I learned that they say “jay” instead of “igriega” (not sure how you’d actually spell that, but Y) – but both are correct. It was fun!
When I got home, they were making lasagna – I got two dinners tonight since they forgot to tell me tonight was going to be lasagna night so I ate before class, too. Fine with me, though! ;) Eddie and Amy stayed for dinner, and Eddie and I decided to make a treasure hunt for the kids on Friday – he got the idea from Lola, who was making one with Amy for their kids to do tomorrow. While we were eating dinner, a guy came by the little window thing in the fence next to our table and kept asking us for food, so we gave him a couple packages of crackers, but then he kept asking for rice and beans, which we told him we didn’t have – he had to either take the crackers or nothing…so finally he left with those. He just kept repeating himself, and then asking for something to smoke, and when Lola went to give him the food, she said she thought he was completely drunk…. so that was interesting. After dinner, we played Jungle Speed and then went to bed…after washing most of our pots and pans since we had to spray a bunch of Raid in the cupboard to kill a fat cockroach.

PHOTOS: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100414083809628.2820398.10735354&l=1d110c12fa

No comments:

Post a Comment