4/29
Only Juan and Vilma showed up for the 9:00 class this morning since there was something going on at the school so lots of kids were there instead of here. We spent some time playing the wheel game and going over professions using little fabric doll things, and then went to the field to play. While we were there, Diego and Kennet joined us, and then they and a couple other kids came back with us to the classroom and drew til 10. Juan wanted me to give him a test – he is so enthusiastic about test-taking! With a little help, he got 100%, which he was quite proud of :) After class, I went to walk around the beach for a while, then came back to the house for lunch, went back to the beach to read a bit, and then back to the house for a little before going to class again. I went to Funez’s to get a few bananas, and he told me about how he once went to the States and when we went to get lunch and saw the word “dime” on the drink machine, told it his drink order since in Spanish “dime” is “tell me”. Nicol came over and then we went to class together, and she and Axa were the only ones that showed up for 1:00, so we went to the field to play, and then a bunch more kids joined us around 1:45 when we went back to the classroom. They really like coloring (see my photos for pics of some great drawings that a few of the kids gave me!) so a bunch of them colored while we played the wheel game and then we all went to the field to play soccer and Frisbee. I definitely like having Fridays be a play day! Later in the afternoon, Heide and I went to the beach …it was breezy so was actually kind of cool. It has finally dropped down to the mid-80s this evening, and it is really nice!
4/28
Had 9 kids in class today. A few of them were early and happily colored until class started. I introduced 9 new words for things that we find within the house, and we played some games using them. I wonder if they will ever tire of the wheel game! It’s a good one, though, so it’d be nice if they didn’t! After class, I went back to the house and did some laundry in the shower and had lunch. In the afternoon, I went to the beach to take a walk since it’s cooler over there… it has been SO hot here! The temperature is in the mid-90s, but the “feels like” temperature has been over 100 for the past several days, and it is super humid. Later in the afternoon, the rest of our water came back on! When I got here, the water had been completely off in most of the town for 3 days, and stayed off for about another week (but luckily I left for Tela/Belize a couple days after getting here). When it came back on, only the water in the bathrooms came back – they shut our water off since Charlie had forgotten to pay the bill, and didn’t realize that we have two pipes for water – so they shut off water to the kitchen and the pila, but not to the bathrooms. Today he went over and told them he paid first thing Monday morning, so it’s about time they turned it back on, which they did! I went to school for the 4pm class and waited til 4:25 til they got back from playing in the field, but then no one stayed for the class anyway, so I went home early. After dinner, I went to the adult English class. We had 9 people – 6 from last night, and 3 new ones (one police officer and two young women). We reviewed greetings, and then went over descriptions of people and the verb “to be” (“he is tall,” “she is thin”) and played the cup game using the new sentences.
PHOTOS:http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10100359599097428.2804941.10735354&l=518b6851df
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment