4/26
10 students showed up this morning, and luckily the ones that weren’t here yesterday arrived early so we had time to review what we went over yesterday, and then after a brief review with everyone, move on to asking and answering questions using the rooms of the house, so they could practice using the new words as well as is/are, and arranging the words correctly for question format. After class, I went to the house for lunch, and then in the afternoon, went to Iris’ classes to help out. At the end of the first class, I took out my camera to take a photo of some of the kids marking their heights on the wall to see how much they’d grown, and Nicol wanted me to take a photo of her and me. And then my camera just wouldn’t work! It kept telling me that there was a lens error and to restart it, but the lens wouldn’t move at all (it’s stuck out)…I tried moving the lens, looked online for solutions, etc, but can’t get it to work. So, off to Ceiba tomorrow to try to get another, and get a Tigo mobile internet USB stick/chip so I can get internet at the house.
Anna got back from Ceiba this evening and said she has decided to go to Copan with her Wyoming friends before they go back to the States, so is going this Thursday and will continue on to Antigua after that. Since most of the others have been to Guatemala already, I guess I will be traveling solo! At dinner, Ruth said she’d like to do Copan, so we could leave the 13th and do Copan together and then I’ll continue to Angtigua, Lake Atitlán, and Guatemala City on my own.
We went to have stir fry at the beach house (the other volunteer house) tonight, and while we were waiting on our porch for everyone to be ready, some kids came by in the costumes/scary masks again…I so wished I had my camera!! While we were eating dinner, the power went out and stayed out for a couple of hours. I guess they usually turn the power off for a couple hours a few nights a week to conserve energy. The girls at the beach house said it’s not safe to go out at all while the power is out, since that’s when people come out to rob people since they know they won’t be able to see anything. One night that it went out, two of the girls were are Nic’s and went to ride their bikes home, and someone told them the people in a nearby car were going to rob them, so they went as fast as they could on their bikes, but said it was a good thing they’d called the house ahead of time to let the other girls know they were coming home and to be at the door ready to open it, because they barely made it to the house without the car catching them… and then one of them just saw the same car again the other day, with a guy sitting in it with a huge gun on his lap. So! Needless to say, we waited until the power came back on to walk home.
PHOTOS: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10100359599097428.2804941.10735354&l=518b6851df
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment